The best hair transplant candidates, according to the American Hair Loss Association, the best candidates for hair restoration surgery are:
- Men who have been losing their hair due to male pattern baldness (MPB) for more than five years or who have progressed to a Norwood class 3 or above.
- Men with realistic expectations and who understand that their hair loss might continue to progress even if they are taking prescription medication to stop the progression.
- Men who have been balding for many years and who's pattern has stabilized and are interested in just adding some hair to provide a more youthful appearance.
- Men and women who have lost hair due to trauma or burns.
- Men and women who have lost hair due to other cosmetic procedures such as face-lifts.